I have had a lot of questions about what kind of food I am eating or what are traditional dishes, So I thought I would show you. This is as traditional as you can get for Jordan it is called Mansef and yes that is a lamb head, well skull in the middle of the platter. Around it are the rest of the parts of the lamb nothing is wasted in Jordan. You eat this from the platter with your hands/ bread and they pour kind of liquid yogurt over it. It is very very good and there is always plenty of food!
This is a traditional dessert, called Kanafe. I am not too fond of it but it can be really good. It has a coconut wrapping and a chewy inside I really have no idea what it is made of. Of course it has pistachios on top which is a delicacy and very expensive, yet loved by all. Even the Arab ice cream has pistachios in it. Good thing they have American ice cream too I still prefer it to the desserts they have here.
There are lots of other dishes as well but these are the most traditional! In Arabic lets eat is Sahtain!
This is probably one of the main reasons I am terrified to travel to an unfamiliar country. It may taste good, but if I even felt like my meal might be staring back at me, I'm pretty sure I would lose my appetite almost immediately. After several such events I would then starve, shrivel up, and die. You are much braver than me. I'm glad you are enjoying it, though!
ReplyDeleteYou know what? I've been reading your blog about Jordan and I am really offended. Everything about your blog is offensive, but reading Erin's comment really bothered me because you came to Jordan, didn't know how to adjust to our culture and you completely misrepresent EVERYTHING we stand for. I have NEVER had mansaf with a lamb's head sitting there on top and Kanafe is made of CHEESE. I have British friends who have visited me THREE TIMES just for the food. I'm sorry that we actually put effort into making our food (not just fattening burgers, greasy pizzas and disgusting hot dogs- DO YOU KNOW WHAT YOUR AMERICAN HOTDOGS ARE MADE OF? I'd rather eat a sheep's eyeballs than eat one of your hotdogs) and another thing, if you're so hung up on your own American food and your own American traditions, then STAY IN AMERICA. People like you should be denied visas at the airport. Seriously.
ReplyDelete