Thursday, June 17, 2010
Adjusting to the USA
It is funny, I have been back in the states for almost a month. However even though I grew up here I find it very odd when very "American" things happen. I have to think twice when I walk up to a gentleman even one I might have known for a very long time. In Africa, I would shake their hand no matter how well I know them. Here in the states I might give them a hug. So in my mind I find myself arguing with myself "what am I supposed to do?" Other things such as the number of choices of things in stores seems outrageous! One thing that I still do not completely understand is the fact that meetings here can last only a half hour and everybody be happy with what has gone on. In Africa the meetings last for 2 hours for a short visit and you know you are ready to leave when people offer you tea. Another thing that I hope to adjust to, however I doubt I will is it is COLD everywhere I go. You would think that I have spent more of my life in Africa then in the US. It is funny how quickly you can fall in love with a place you have lived in for such a short amount of time. I am enjoying time with friends and family and getting some extra time to spend with God which is always so revitalizing. I am also learning how much I have changed as I interact with people I have known for most of my life. The most valuable thing that I believe I learned this year is that JESUS is my PRICELESS TREASURE and I am HIS!!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment