Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Oh the complications...

So today I had the "joy" of extending my visa for Jordan. When you come into the country they give you a one month visa, that then you are supposed to check in with the police station before a month and they will extend your visa. However I forgot and went over a couple weeks, so I had to go and pay a fine.

So this is how it went yesterday the bus driver for the school was nice enough to come with me to attempt to renew my visa. I paid the fine and actually this very nice man put my passport on top of the stack because someone told them I had family coming into town. However then we tried to find the next office we were supposed to go to and after walking in about 5 circles. Apparently it is not easy to understand what your job is here. We finally found the right place, the man asked me about 3 questions and told me to leave because I could not prove that I had a place of residence here.

So I went back today with my host sister... we did everything they wanted and got the fingerprints, by the way Jordan now has a blood test and fingerprints from me... We got to the last step where all the man had to do was stamp my passport and he looked at the receipt that said I paid my fine yesterday, and told me I had to go pay my fine today. It has to be the same day. Well that was back on the other side of the building, and the smallest room with the most people. We asked them if I could just pay the 1 and a half JD for the day, but they wanted us to fill out another paper and wait in line for this which had about 20 people in front of us. We got really frusterated and then the man yelled at my host sister, and I was really really lost for a while until about 10 minutes later we ended up with my passport stamped and went back to see the same guy that kept refusing me and he finally finally put the stamp in my passport so that now I could stay for 3 months in Jordan.

It may not seem complicated, but we were both exausted afterwards and also very frusterated. If I could just get my visa for Sudan none of this would be a problem, but such is life :)

3 comments:

  1. Think on the bright side... at least they didn't kick you out of the country. ;)
    Keep hanging on. All will come in perfect timing.

    ReplyDelete